Facebook is a very public forum and if one is willing to post a comment on the site one should be aware of the possible backlash from the comment. Student speech out side of school can not be regulated and is fleeting, but with Facebook and the internet speech is a permeant and very public. So, I agree with the school, however I do not agree with the severity of the punishment. In all the internet is a new world and you should check yourself before you wreck yourself.
I believe that normally a school should not have the right to punish a student for comments made online, within reason. That being said, I think that the school in this case had every right to expel the student for making threats against the life of another, a liberty not secured under the First Amendment. While the student may have posted it during a heat of the moment type situation, the school had no way of knowing whether it was a true threat or not, so they had a compelling interest to keep him out of school for the safety of others. In not so threatening circumstances, I do not believe that a school should be able to punish students for nonviolent remarks made outside of school because that infringes upon our right to privacy.
Taylor was fully aware of what he was saying and how many people would see his post. Therefore, he cannot argue or fight his punishment. The school needs to make sure that their halls are safe for students and faculty and his post threatened the lives of others. Regardless of the intention behind the post, Taylor still felt strongly enough to post this status, even if he didn't mean it. Although Taylor has freedom of speech that right does not allow him to threaten others.
I believe, first and foremost, that an individual's right to free speech extends only so far until it poses a credible danger, at which point it may be limited as needed. What constitutes a "credible danger" I will leave up to the court on a case by case basis, although I believe that in this case there was some reason for alarm. I do not believe that a school has a right to censor the words of its students out of mere disagreement. However, in this case, the mention of "killing" faculty, regardless of whether it was made in a "joking" context or not, constitutes a credible threat. I believe that the school was well within its rights in expelling the offending student, with the interest of maintaining a "safe school environment"-in which its teachers and coaches may work freely in an environment safe from death threats.
Mr. Cummings' remarks were most likely not intended to be a genuine threat. However, like the school spokeswoman said, threats cannot be determined jokes or false simply because of their context. It is unfortunate that Mr. Cummings was suspended for threatening to kill his basketball coaches because, in reality, it was most likely a spur of the moment post made out of mounting frustration. Clearly threats like that, whether they are intended to be threats or not, are not protected by the First Amendment and are punishable. Free speech is a different matter. I would have to agree with the gentleman from Vanderbilt University who said that the speech is only punishable if it is a threat or if it causes a "substantial disruption." For example, if a page was created and someone said "Teacher X is a [expletive]" and the whole school saw it and was talking about it...that is a substantial disruption and he or she should be punished. Overall, I do believe that schools have the right to punish students for comments made that cause a disruption at school; otherwise, I think the speech should be protected.
Though I do not think that Cummings threat was genuine, one knows the possible consequences of posting things on Facebook. That is a very public forum and what one says on the Internet is much harder to interpret the intent of than it is when something is said face to face.
While I do not believe that the students' comments were appropriate, and that school action should have been taken, I believe that expelling the student was too serious. The student had no history of behavioral infractions and there was no reason to believe, besides that facebook post, that the student was actually going to take action. Age, maturity, and circumstances should have been taken into account; he was only 17 and immature. Facebook is public, but people should also take into account that teenagers often do not understand the breadth of what they say and tone is not heard, so it should not be taken so seriously, and other circumstances should take a part in an overall decision, such as an expulsion.
Although Cummings harsh facebook status was wrong, I believe that he shouldn't have been expelled. Kids say these types of things all of the time but on top of all this the school did not necessarily know who or what he was talking about.If anything the school should've given him ISS or suspended him for a day or two. I understand that what he says on the internet is public, but this seems like a rash punishment by the school without even looking into what he was referring to.
I believe that the school was right in suspending him but expulsion was too far. He needed to be subjected to school counseling. Too many times have student threats been unanswered only to find the next day the very student participated in a school shooting. It is a public forum. It is very hard to interpret the truth behind something written out than spoken by mouth. He willingly posted his comment so that the public could see it. His freedom of speech ends when it begins to infringe upon the rights of others like their lives it stops,.
The school's duty to keep other students and faculty safe is of the utmost importance- even if that means crossing the line of the 1st amendment. Taylor obviously felt strongly enough to click post on his status and as a teenager, he had full knowledge of what he was doing. I think that his punishment was fair because it sets an example to other students that posting on the internet is not a joke (especially when someone'f life is being threatened) and even though he is young, he is not invincible from the consequences of his actions and words.
i believe that expelling him was the proper form of punishment. he went too far by posting an extremely inappropriate status and if he was just suspended other kids would see that it was not that bad and they would do it too.
I agreee with the school and their actions against Taylor Cummings that he should be expelled. In our day of age, one can never take threats and inciteful words on a website like facebook lightly. There have been many past incidents where students have posted things and people have been hurt or killed from the backlash. If Mr. Cummings is willing to accept the consequences of his posting on facebook, a PUBLIC forum in which EVERYONE eith a computer can see, then the school should be able to take action against him if they feel there is a threat to their school or others.
I do not think the school should monitor the internet regarding their students, but that being said protecting a person's life is a very important matter. I think the school should have the right to protect the coach by expelling the high school student because this case falls under the right a person has to live under the First Amendment. The school had no way in knowing whether or not the threat was true and had no way of knowing whether the student actually was going to take the coach's life.
Facebook is a very public forum and if one is willing to post a comment on the site one should be aware of the possible backlash from the comment. Student speech out side of school can not be regulated and is fleeting, but with Facebook and the internet speech is a permeant and very public. So, I agree with the school, however I do not agree with the severity of the punishment. In all the internet is a new world and you should check yourself before you wreck yourself.
ReplyDeleteI believe that normally a school should not have the right to punish a student for comments made online, within reason. That being said, I think that the school in this case had every right to expel the student for making threats against the life of another, a liberty not secured under the First Amendment. While the student may have posted it during a heat of the moment type situation, the school had no way of knowing whether it was a true threat or not, so they had a compelling interest to keep him out of school for the safety of others. In not so threatening circumstances, I do not believe that a school should be able to punish students for nonviolent remarks made outside of school because that infringes upon our right to privacy.
ReplyDeleteTaylor was fully aware of what he was saying and how many people would see his post. Therefore, he cannot argue or fight his punishment. The school needs to make sure that their halls are safe for students and faculty and his post threatened the lives of others. Regardless of the intention behind the post, Taylor still felt strongly enough to post this status, even if he didn't mean it. Although Taylor has freedom of speech that right does not allow him to threaten others.
ReplyDeleteI believe, first and foremost, that an individual's right to free speech extends only so far until it poses a credible danger, at which point it may be limited as needed. What constitutes a "credible danger" I will leave up to the court on a case by case basis, although I believe that in this case there was some reason for alarm. I do not believe that a school has a right to censor the words of its students out of mere disagreement. However, in this case, the mention of "killing" faculty, regardless of whether it was made in a "joking" context or not, constitutes a credible threat. I believe that the school was well within its rights in expelling the offending student, with the interest of maintaining a "safe school environment"-in which its teachers and coaches may work freely in an environment safe from death threats.
ReplyDeleteMr. Cummings' remarks were most likely not intended to be a genuine threat. However, like the school spokeswoman said, threats cannot be determined jokes or false simply because of their context. It is unfortunate that Mr. Cummings was suspended for threatening to kill his basketball coaches because, in reality, it was most likely a spur of the moment post made out of mounting frustration. Clearly threats like that, whether they are intended to be threats or not, are not protected by the First Amendment and are punishable. Free speech is a different matter. I would have to agree with the gentleman from Vanderbilt University who said that the speech is only punishable if it is a threat or if it causes a "substantial disruption." For example, if a page was created and someone said "Teacher X is a [expletive]" and the whole school saw it and was talking about it...that is a substantial disruption and he or she should be punished. Overall, I do believe that schools have the right to punish students for comments made that cause a disruption at school; otherwise, I think the speech should be protected.
ReplyDeleteThough I do not think that Cummings threat was genuine, one knows the possible consequences of posting things on Facebook. That is a very public forum and what one says on the Internet is much harder to interpret the intent of than it is when something is said face to face.
ReplyDeleteWhile I do not believe that the students' comments were appropriate, and that school action should have been taken, I believe that expelling the student was too serious. The student had no history of behavioral infractions and there was no reason to believe, besides that facebook post, that the student was actually going to take action. Age, maturity, and circumstances should have been taken into account; he was only 17 and immature. Facebook is public, but people should also take into account that teenagers often do not understand the breadth of what they say and tone is not heard, so it should not be taken so seriously, and other circumstances should take a part in an overall decision, such as an expulsion.
ReplyDeleteAlthough Cummings harsh facebook status was wrong, I believe that he shouldn't have been expelled. Kids say these types of things all of the time but on top of all this the school did not necessarily know who or what he was talking about.If anything the school should've given him ISS or suspended him for a day or two. I understand that what he says on the internet is public, but this seems like a rash punishment by the school without even looking into what he was referring to.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the school was right in suspending him but expulsion was too far. He needed to be subjected to school counseling. Too many times have student threats been unanswered only to find the next day the very student participated in a school shooting. It is a public forum. It is very hard to interpret the truth behind something written out than spoken by mouth. He willingly posted his comment so that the public could see it. His freedom of speech ends when it begins to infringe upon the rights of others like their lives it stops,.
ReplyDeleteThe school's duty to keep other students and faculty safe is of the utmost importance- even if that means crossing the line of the 1st amendment. Taylor obviously felt strongly enough to click post on his status and as a teenager, he had full knowledge of what he was doing. I think that his punishment was fair because it sets an example to other students that posting on the internet is not a joke (especially when someone'f life is being threatened) and even though he is young, he is not invincible from the consequences of his actions and words.
ReplyDeletei believe that expelling him was the proper form of punishment. he went too far by posting an extremely inappropriate status and if he was just suspended other kids would see that it was not that bad and they would do it too.
ReplyDeleteI agreee with the school and their actions against Taylor Cummings that he should be expelled. In our day of age, one can never take threats and inciteful words on a website like facebook lightly. There have been many past incidents where students have posted things and people have been hurt or killed from the backlash. If Mr. Cummings is willing to accept the consequences of his posting on facebook, a PUBLIC forum in which EVERYONE eith a computer can see, then the school should be able to take action against him if they feel there is a threat to their school or others.
ReplyDeleteI do not think the school should monitor the internet regarding their students, but that being said protecting a person's life is a very important matter. I think the school should have the right to protect the coach by expelling the high school student because this case falls under the right a person has to live under the First Amendment. The school had no way in knowing whether or not the threat was true and had no way of knowing whether the student actually was going to take the coach's life.
ReplyDelete