Thursday, February 23, 2012

Recent Supreme Court Ruling ...

Please read the following Washington Post article concerning the Supreme Court's consideration of the role of race in the college admission process. Please share your reaction.

14 comments:

  1. I believe that racial discrimination, while perhaps unfair to some, should be a part of the college admissions process, to at least some degree. First of all, I believe that private institutions have a clear right to discriminate however they please in the application process. I believe that public universities may discriminate as their funding comes from the citizens of their respective states, meaning that they should in turn be representative of their state. The state of Texas, for example, is rapidly becoming a state with no clear racial majority. Its state university should mirror this shift, even if it means admitting less qualified students (who were likely given less opportunity in HS due to lower economic standing) over perhaps the more qualified. On another note, HOOK 'EM HORNS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the institution has every right to consider race when attempting to create a diverse student body. It is definitely unfortunate that Ms. Fisher was denied admission to the University of Texas, but in this particular case, one cannot assume that her white skin caused her denial of admission. Further, even if it was her race that prevented her from attending UT, that's just unfortunate. In essence, the Court is being asked to rule against diversity, something President Obama has supported (diversity in colleges across America). As long as the race-based decisions are only in an attempt to "expand campus diversity," then I can't seem to find an issue with it...especially as a minority preparing to apply to college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the arguments made by those who believe in affirmative action is fair due to outstanding circumstances of minority races. However, I due not agree with this view. I believe that the University of Texas and other state schools should solely focus of the merit of the student, not the skin color. This opinion however, only applies to state schools not private institutions because since state schools are funded through taxes they should solely focus on being fair to the work of the individual. To some this view may be harsh, but I believe America was founded on a principle of equality of opportunity, not outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that race is not important when it comes to the admissions process. i believe that everyone should be treated equally no matter what race they are. yes private schools do have the choice to admit who they chose but i believe it is extremely outdated consider race when reviewing a person's application. it should be about how qualified they are, not by the color of their skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that a student's academic future should depend on the color of their skin. The student who was denied from UT was only denied because they have already accepted their "white quota". Acceptance should be based on academic performance and academic need. I would prefer that colleges not even ask one's race. However, I respect the fact that a University should have complete discretion over who they accept and who they don't, even if the decision is based on race. So I would prefer the court throw out affirmative action but not outlaw it, so that the college has the discretion to accept students on race alone or disregard race completely depending upon the intended direction of the college.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that the concept of race should have no bearing on the college admissions process. The idea of allowing less qualified students in just to meet a racial quota seems like affirmative action gone wrong to me. The theory that they might have been given less of a chance in high school is a tad ill conceived because that disregards the fact that there are plenty of underachieving white students, too, so race should have nothing to do with it. Also, that's a risky move because the school doesn't know whether the student was actually given less of a chance or if they are in fact just a crap student. Race should have nothing to do with admission because the whole process is supposed to be based on merit, so lowering those hurdles for certain ethnic groups at the expense of others seems against the overall idea of admissions. Also, if they do, where do they draw the line? Will the start judging the races based on regional or socioeconomic bases, too, breaking them down into smaller and smaller categories until no student can check all of the same boxes as another student? That just seems like a gross misuse of affirmative action and a debasement of the entire admissions system.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If someone gets rejected from a certain college it is probably based on their grades, test scores, and activities, not their race. I think it's absurd of this student to claim that she was rejected because she was white, she was rejected because her transcript, application, and resume did not hold the same value that other applicants held. As much as colleges would like their student body to be culturally diverse, they also want their average gpa and test score of accepted students to be high. Colleges might place importance on certain applicants because they want to increase cultural diversity on campus and that is fine because they are doing it to overall improve the different blend of ideas, backgrounds, and cultures on campus. People should be able to learn not only from their teachers but also from their fellow students, and nothing of great value can be realized when a student body all belongs to the same race or background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe that a student's admittance shouldn't be decided on their race. The fact that the student in this article was denied due to the school meeting their "quota" is ridiculous to me.Now, I could understand allowing more people of color into a university(who meet/exceed the academic qualifications of the school) because there is such a low percentage of minorities as a whole in college, but admitting students who don't meet the academic qualifications of the school is unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe that racial discrimination should be separate from the college admissions process however it is very prevalent. The US Service academies already discriminate to meet there quotas on diversity. Private institutions I feel have the right to discriminate because they want to seem diversified and are not accepting government money provided that the accepted students do not bring down the quality of the school for the rest. The public universities should not be allowed to discriminate because of the discrimination laws present in society. As a government sponsored entity, the public schools must represent themselves as such and quotas be thrown away

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that when it comes to race, the University of Texas, along with other schools should not base thier admission of students on the color of their skin, but rather their acadmeic and extracurricular achievments. On the other hand, it is a state school which I disagree on having this policy. However, I think for private schools they can decide what their admission policies want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like the denied student's complaint is only her attempts to over compensate the fact that she is not a student that they wanted to admit. She is not the ONLY white person to be denied from a school. Her denial had much more to do with her performance in high school, less about her race. Race should have no place in the college admission world. Naturally, the university may want to admit students of different backgrounds to make the campus more diverse and open to all students. With that being said, no students have to boxed into a catagory of race or ethnisity. And with a public school like UT, it is beyond me to think that racial discrimniation would be allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is upsetting to be denied from a school. That much is apparent to all of those who have been through the process. I believe that race should not be a factor in the admission process, but I do see how the schools would like it to be. Diversity is something that all school's want, but the school's desire should not punish the kids for being born a specific ethnicity. With that said, race is obviously already a factor in the college process, but not to the extent that it is visible to the public eye. Racial discrimination is not allowed, but is present and UT is no different.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Basing admittance on race should not be allowed in the college application process. Getting admitted to college is a difficult process to begin with and should not be clouded by race. The only things that should be considered in the college application process are the assets that are academically focused. All colleges and schools in general(Woodward) want the image of diversity. A school should not admit a person that is not academically capable rather than a person that show academic prowess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do not believe in affirmative action. I believe that one cannot help what race they are and is wanteas a result should not be discriminated against. Admission and jobs should be based on merit, not race. I understand that diversity is desired, but people should not be discriminated against in order for a school place to be desired. After all, race has nothing to do with intelligence and therefore the different amounts of races admitted should be rather equal.

    ReplyDelete